Thursday 30 August 2012

I'm a politician...

I'm a politician and I'm trying very hard indeed to convince you that when we talk about 'deficit' or 'debt' or both, I want you to think that it's your deficit and your debt. I want you to be worried and concerned about this deficit and debt of yours and not think it's the deficit and debt caused by bankers flogging money to each other. I don't want you to think about that top 1 per cent owning wealth beyond that ever dreamed of by the pharaohs, emperors and kings of the past. I want you to think that these hyperwealthy people are busy, clever people doing the best they can to keep the wheels of the world economy turning. I don't want you to ever think that poverty, starvation and war are caused by powerful people trying to secure their wealth and privilege or trying to grab even more. I want you to feel that I'm on your side doing the best I can for you even as I am making it harder for you to get health care, education and help for you or any of your relatives or people you care about who are unable to work. I don't want you to blame me for anything at all. I want you to think I'm nice.